SLAFAR collaboratively with Bay of Bengal Large Marine Ecosystem Project (BOBLME) has organized a scientific writing workshop for the abstract presenters in the 18th SLAFAR annual sessions held on 2012. Objectives of the programme were
- to encourage them to publish their scientific findings in peer reviewed Journals of the field of Aquatic Biology,
- filling the gaps in the knowledge of scientific writing of young scientists in the field of fisheries and aquatic resources,
- improve the existing knowledge and building confidence of writing scientific publications,
- provide opportunities to share the knowledge of expertise and create a platform to explore their own writing skill and style by the participants,
- encourage young scientists to give their contribution for the development of fisheries and sustainable management of aquatic resources through knowledge dissemination,
- develop interest of publishing research findings in peer reviewed journals.
The workshop was a four day residential programme and was held at MAS Fabric Park, Thulhiriya, Sri Lanka. The workshop started on 29th April 2013 and winded up on 2nd May 2013. Twenty eight participants from Six national Universities including University of Colombo, University of Kelaniya, University of Sri Jayawardanapura, University of Ruhuna, Wayamba University of Sri Lanka; National Aquatic Resources Research and Development Agency (NARA), National Aquaculture Development Authority (NAQDA) and Atomic Energy Authority were attended the workshop. The workshop was facilitated by Dr. Chris O’ Brein (chief facilitator), Regional coordinator, BOBLME project; Prof. E. Vivekanandan, Professor Emiritus, Central Marine Fisheries; Prof. J.M.P.K. Jayasinghe, Wayamba University of Sri Lanka, Dr. (Ms) J.A.D.S.S. Jayakody, Senior Lecturer, Wyamba University of Sri Lanka; and Dr. M.D.S.T. de Croos, Senior Lecturer, Wayamba University of Sri Lanka.
At the end of the workshop eighteen manuscripts were submitted to the Sri Lanka Journal of Aquatic Sciences.
29th April to 2nd May 2013 – MAS Fabric Park, Thulhiriya